|01-22-2013 Regular School Board Meeting|
Agenda Item #39
Close South Lake Elementary School for the 2013-14 School Year
Staff recommends the following for the 2013-14 school year:
- Close South Lake Elementary School
- Change the current attendance boundaries of Apollo, Coquina, Mims, Oak Park and Pinewood Elementary Schools as shown in Proposal 3 to accommodate the closure of South Lake Elementary School.
- Non-renew out-of-area students at Mims Elementary School and Oak Park Elementary School per Policy 7120.
- Grandfather rising 6th graders at Mims Elementary School and Oak Park Elementary School without transportation or sibling preference.
- Grandfather walkers at their current school if they must be bused to the new school. This recommendation would not apply if the student could also walk to the new school or if their current school is closed.
- A Spot Survey to amend the Educational Plant Survey must be submitted to the Florida Department of Education (FDOE) to convert South Lake Elementary School to ancillary and/or support uses. This Spot Survey will be submitted to the School Board for approval prior to submission to the FDOE.
- Proposal 3 map and data for the recommended boundary changes to accommodate the closure of South Lake Elementary School are attached.
Proposal 2 was presented as the Staff Recommendation at the December 11, 2012 School Board Meeting. Based on input from the public and the Area staff, the proposed attendance boundary changes were revised and Proposal 3 became the Staff Recommendation. Proposal 3 was presented at the Community Forum on January 10, 2013. Proposal 2 is not recommended by staff, but is included as an option for the Board's consideration. The map and data for Proposal 2 are attached.
Hold a Public Hearing to approve the following for the 2013-14 school year.
- The closure of South Lake Elementary School and the recommended attendance boundary changes as shown in Proposal 3 to accommodate the closure.
- The recommended non-renewal of out-of-area students and grandfathering conditions.
Information - 11/20/2012
Authority for Action
Involves Expenditure of Funds Directly in the Classroom
Source of Funding
Agenda Item will not Require the Expenditure of Funds
Dane Theodore, Assistant Superintendent / Facilities Services 633-1000 x450
Attachment: South Lake 3 Map and Data.pdf
Attachment: South Lake 2 Map and Data.pdf