|01-22-2013 Regular School Board Meeting|
Agenda Item #41
Close Gardendale Elementary Magnet School for the 2013-14 School Year
Staff recommends the following for the 2013-14 school year:
- Close Gardendale Elementary Magnet School.
- Change the current attendance boundaries of Audubon, MILA and Tropical Elementary Schools as shown in Proposal 5 to accommodate the closure of Gardendale Elementary Magnet School.
- Non-renew out-of-area students at MILA Elementary School per Policy 7120.
- Grandfather rising 6th graders at MILA Elementary School without transportation or sibling preference.
- A Spot Survey to amend the Educational Plant Survey must be submitted to the Florida Department of Education (FDOE) to convert Gardendale Elementary Magnet School to ancillary and/or support uses. This Spot Survey will be submitted to the School Board for approval prior to submission to the FDOE.
- Proposal 5 map and data for the recommended boundary changes to accommodate the closure of Gardendale Elementary Magnet School are attached.
Proposal 4 was presented as the Staff Recommendation at the December 11, 2012 School Board Meeting. Based on input from the public and the Area staff, the proposed attandance boundary changes were revised and Proposal 5 became the Staff Recommendation. Proposal 5 was presented at the Community Forum on January 10, 2013. Proposal 4 is not recommended by staff, but is included as an option for the Board's consideration. The map and data for Proposal 4 are attached.
Hold a Public Hearing to approve the following for the 2013-14 school year.
- The closure of Gardendale Elementary Magnet School and the recommended attendance boundary changes as shown in Proposal 5 to accommodate the closure.
- The recommended non-renewal of out-of-area students and grandfathering conditions.
Information - 11/20/2012
Authority for Action
Involves Expenditure of Funds Directly in the Classroom
Source of Funding
Agenda Item will not Require the Expenditure of Funds
Dane Theodore, Assistant Superintendent / Facilities Services 633-1000 x450
Attachment: Gardendale 5 Map and Data.pdf
Attachment: Gardendale 4 Map and Data.pdf