1. Call to Order
Chairman Murray called the Special School Board Meeting to order at 2:30 p.m.
4. Quality Assurance Review Oral Exit Report
Chairman Dr. Murray stated that over the past four days, Brevard Public schools has been hosting the Quality Assurance Review visit for the renewal of district accreditation. She mentioned that the purpose of the review is to determine the degree to which the district meets the AdvancED accreditation standards. Dr. Murray turned the meeting over to Superintendent Dr. Brian T. Binggeli.
Dr. Binggeli mentioned that a national Quality Assurance Review team of 17 educators spent time interviewing a wide range of district and school level stakeholders, examining artifacts, conducting school visits, and engaging in professional deliberations to evaluate the district's adherence to the AdvancED quality standards. He then turned the meeting over to Dr. Denny Jennings, Lead Evaluator and Chair of the Quality Assurance Review Team.
Dr. Jennings gave presentation (as attached) of the QAR Review Teams findings of Brevard Public School District. The team commended the district in the following areas:
- A strong culture of caring, open communication, support, and collaboration, grounded in shared commitment to their vision.
- Exercising prudent stewardship of resources and services, in order to ensure that excellence is the standard for staff, students, and the entire community.
- Stakeholders who embrace the district's vision, model the culture, and enhance their operation and success of students and schools.
- Decisions of the organization being data-driven and informed.
The Quality Assurance Review Team determined that Brevard Public Schools must complete the required actions:
- Monitor school improvement efforts to ensure that all schools deliberately and clearly align their plans with AdvancEd Quality Standards and with district improvement.
- Engage in tenacious pursuit and assessment of district school initiatives to ensure continuous improvement of instruction and curriculum, development of common language, and institutionalization of true professional learning communities.
Dr. Jennings explained the Standards Rubric and presented what Brevard Schools was rated for each of the following standards.
- Vision and Purpose: Operational*
- Governance and Leadership: Highly Functional**
- Teaching and Learning: Operational*
- Documenting and Using Results: Operational*
- Resources and Support Systems: Operational*
- Stakeholder Communications and Relationships: Highly Functional**
- Commitment to Continuous Improvement: Operational*
** Highly Functional - The district is exceptional in its demonstration of the standard and exhibits practices not commonly found in other schools. A small percentage of districts have standards ratings at this level.
*Operational - The district is demonstrating the standard and using practices commonly found in other schools. Many districts have standards ratings at this level.
Dr. Jennings stated that on behalf of the Quality Assurance Review Team that they are proud to inform the Board that their recommendation to the Accreditation Commission is that Brevard Public School indeed be fully and duly accredited through district accreditation for the next five years.
Chairman Murray thanked Dr. Jennings and the all the hard work of the Quality Assurance Team. She thanked the administration of the district and mentioned that the Board notices just how hard they work every day. Dr. Murray thanked the team for their feedback and stated that the district will take it to heart. She wished the team well and safe travel back to their homes.