Chairperson Misty Belford and Vice-chairman John Craig facilitated the workshop. The meeting was beneficial with both sides grateful for the opportunity to collaborate in this type of forum.
An important point that was brought up was respect from the bottom up and from the top down. The primary purpose of both the Board and the Cabinet is "to serve."
The Board's number one duty is policies. They determined to take better ownership of policies. Additionally, the Board asked if senior leaders see something wrong in a policy or a way that it can be made better, they are to bring to the Board.
Chairperson Belford recessed the workshop at 11:59 p.m.
The meeting was reconvened at 12:20 p.m.
What is the one thing you would like to see happen in the district or your department that would be a game changer?
• Theodore – Release of capital funds in July instead of in September after Board approval. NOTE: It was stated by Zuercher that there are plans already established to make this happen.
• Cheatham – Increased capacity.
• Archer – Increased capacity, takeover total. ELO/EPO Process.
• Cline – Title Director/Coordinator – Same Job
• Soliven – Recruitment / Retention
• Reed – Multiply digital audience and reach.
• Zuercher –
? Increase capacity with employee who poses energy, drive and brains. Creativity impact efficiency.
? Centralized internal accounts.
• Thedy – Focus on drop-out prevention and special education. Differentiated staffing programs, space limits, student day, staffing
• Soliven – Employee recruitment and retention
• Kindt – Job descriptions
• Theodore – Compensation inequity
• Mullins – Safety and security. Equity.
What is one thing you would like to see eliminated that would be a game changer?
• Thedy – Prep for Board agenda items.
• Cheatham – EDR/Harris Software
• Thedy and Kindt –
? Removing teacher evaluation steps (refining)
? Instructional evaluations on non-educational team members.
? Remove pay-for-performance for non-instructional positions.
• Cline – Remove deliberate practice for principals.
• Soliven – Impact forms
• Thedy – Child custody procedures
• Reed – PowerPoints for schools, internal supports.
What is the one thing that keeps you up at night about your role, your department, or our organization in general?
• Archer – Time management.
• Thedy – Time management and doing the right thing for the students.
• Cline – Having the right budget with the right people while preparing for shifts in division.
• Zuercher – How do we fund initiaves, raises etc.
• Blackburn – Resources, time and money. Hesitant to shift time and money.
• Theodore – Local funding decrease or disappear.
• Cheathum – Speed of change/responsibility. No time for planning.
• Thedy – Planning is missing from decision making.
• Reed – Pushing accurate information to stakeholders on time and within legal boundaries.
• Mullins – Safety and Security / Transportation technology
• Soliven – Equity for students,
•Bistline - Sunshine and Public Records Laws
What can we do better in support of you?
• Assuming confidence
• Picking up phone / respect
• No gotchas
• Understanding, integrity
• Honesty in mess-ups
• Notification of Board discussion items ahead of time
• Principal training for bookkeeper oversight
• Board desires for daily operations (news/summary)