|02-26-2013 Special School Board Meeting|
Agenda Item #41
Recommend the Renewal of Imagine Schools at West Melbourne Renewal Charter Contract
Florida State Statues dictate that the terms and conditions for the operation of a charter school shall be set forth by the Sponsor and the charter school in a written contractual agreement, called a charter. The purpose of this agenda item is to request the approval of the renewal charter contract for Imagine Schools at West Melbourne, which expired on June 30, 2011.
Summary of Renewal Contract Negotiations with Imagine Schools at West Melbourne
- The Board approved the recommendation to renew the charter contract for Imagine Schools at West Melbourne on April 26, 2011.
- The Imagine charter contract expired on June 30, 2011. A letter granting the extension of the June 30, 2011 contract was granted to the School to complete contract negotiations.
- The two parties have been involved in contract negotiations since August 2011. Harold Bistline, School Board Attorney, has been extensively involved in the contract negotiations, including conferring with the School's attorney.
- Negotiations curtailed for a period of time when it was suspected that the school would receive its second "F" grade for the 2011-2012 school year. Imagine provided the District with a letter stating that the school would voluntarily close if it received a "F" grade.
- The School received a "D" grade for the 2011-12 school year and contract negotiations resumed.
- The School's governing board approved the proposed renewal contract on February 14, 2013.
Approve the renewal charter contract for Imagine Charter Schools at West Melbourne.
Information - 2/26/2013
Consent after Information3/12/2013
Authority for Action
Involves Expenditure of Funds Directly in the Classroom
Source of Funding
Agenda Item will not Require the Expenditure of Funds
Vicki Mace, Director School Choice
Attachment: Charter Contract-Renewal FINAL.pdf