Agenda Item #25
F-15. Consultant Agreement with Dr. Susan Hall - 95 Percent Group
The 95 Percent Group will conduct a one day follow up training on the phonological awareness and phonics continuum training that occurred in September 2007. This May workshop will train reading coaches to assist their principals with implementing required immediate intervention instruction for struggling readers. Training will illustrate how to efficiently and effectively schedule the intervention block, effectively model an intervention lesson, use data analysis for grouping students, and increase reading coaches' content knowledge.
As a follow-up to the training, Dr. Susan L. Hall and Dr. Diane Merkel will assist reading coaches in preparing an action plan for improving K-3 reading instruction through the use of DIBELS and related reading data resulting in higher student achievement.
This consultant agreement directly impacts the following strategic plan goals:
· 2.1.1 – Implement a K-12 comprehensive improvement program for every student scoring below grade level and decrease the achievement gap between minority and majority students on FCAT reading and math,
· 2.1.3 - Improve the third grade FCAT scale scores to rank in the top five districts in the state, and
· 2.1.5 - Obtain adequate yearly progress based on NCLB standards at the school and district level.
The total cost for this professional service agreement, $5,840 is budgeted through Title II funds which support reading professional development.
This cost includes:
· The consultants’ presentation fee;
· Preparation fees at the rate of one hour of preparation for each hour of presentation (which is our district standard);
· Cost of materials for participants, including handouts for the presentation, materials for classroom use, and materials for follow-up study, as appropriate;
· Access to the company’s web site for updates and follow-up, as well as e-mail support for the participants;
· Travel expenses (flights, rental car, hotel, meals).
Brevard has worked successfully with Dr. Susan Hall and the 95 Percent Group consultants for selected corrective action and restructuring schools. Last year, Dr. Hall assisted Seminole County Public Schools with a plan to improve student performance; they have extended and increased the amount of her support this year due to the county’s improved reading scores. The 95 Percent Group works with several states and districts across the nation. Her vita is attached for your review.
Additional follow up training may become available throughout the year at the same rate stated in the professional services agreement.
To authorize the Superintendent to enter into an agreement with Dr. Susan L. Hall, the Founder and President of 95% Group, to provide follow up training for twenty five elementary reading coaches. The total cost of $5,840 for this professional service agreement is budgeted through Title II funds which support reading professional development.
Information - 3/11/2008
Consent after Information3/25/2008
Authority for Action
Board Polciy - 6540
Involves Expenditure of Funds Directly in the Classroom
Source of Funding
Special Revenue - Federal
Debbie Wood, Elementary Reading Facilitator ext. 342
Attachment: Susan Hall Resume Complete 9-19-062.pdf
Attachment: Consultant Agreement Summary - Title II 5.15.083.pdf