Attachment: Common Core Presentation.pdf
Attachment: Various Common Core Handouts.pdf
Chairman Dr. Barbara Murray turned the meeting over to Cyndi Van Meter, Associate Superintendent of Curriculum & Instruction.
Ms. Van Meter reported to the Board how Brevard Public Schools is preparing for 2014 as it relates to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Initiative. The following administrators each did a segment of the attached presentation.
- Lynn Spadaccini, Director of Elementary Programs
- Barbara Rodriguez, Director of Middle School Programs
- Dr. Walt Christy, Director of Secondary Schools
- Cari Kupec, Grant Coordinator/Race to the Top
- Janice Scholz, Director of Career & Technical Ed.
- Sue Carver, Director of Exceptional Education Program Support
- Robin Ward, Grant Writer
- Karen Schafer, Director of Testing & Accountability
Some of the highlighted areas include:
- How the CCSS were developed
- What the CCSS are meant to accomplish
- How the CCSS will be implemented and the timeline
- CCSS English/Language Arts Implementation
- CCSS Math Implementation
- CCSS for Teachers
- Brevard's Sate and Regional Leadership in the Common Core
- CTE Connection to CCSS
- Access to the Common Core for Exceptional Student Success (ACCESS)
- Community of Practice (CoP) Mission
- Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC)
- PARCC - Florida Assessment Transition Plan
Ms. Kneessy noted that there are groups who are adamantly opposed to Common Core. She asked for specific verbiage on how are we going to respond to these groups.
Ms. Henderson asked what parents need to be concerned about with Common Core State Standards.
Mr. Ziegler stated that the groups seem to be concerned with content and Common Core is all methodology.
Dr. Murray stated that there seems to be some concern by the citizens about the international flavor. She noted that it is the same group that is concerned about IB.
Discussion ensued amongst the Board and the staff as it relates to the concerns received by parents and the community in regard to CCSS and who is housing the data received and who will have access to it.
Dr. Murray suggested that the district place a Question & Answer (Q&A), or Myths or Common Questions segment on the website to help elevate any concerns. She also suggested on the home page at Common Core is here and here to stay and channel parents to the more specific documents.
Due to a prior engagement, Dr. Murray left the meeting at 11:17 a.m.
Ms. Kneessy requested an easy response so that everyone is saying the same message to parents and community members. She would like some core phrases and things to draw upon.
Discussion ensued as it relates to perception of content between Ms. Kneessy, Dr. Binggeli, Ms. Henderson and Mr. Ziegler. Ms. Kneessy stated that this is all part of campaign mode for 2014, in her opinion.