4. Strategic Plan Presentation
Attachment: 5 5 16 Final Strategic Plan Presentation - final revised 5.9.16.pdf
Chairman Ziegler explained that the purpose of the workshop was to allow staff to provide the Board with an overview of the Strategic Plan draft and turned the meeting over to Dr. Blackburn. Dr. Blackburn explained how they arrived at the six themes that are part of the Strategic Plan. Those themes are: Leading and Learning, Employee Excellence, Facilities and Capital Allocations, Governance, Finance, and Community Relations.
Senior Staff members presented the parts of the plan for which they are accountable. Following the presentation, each Board member made comments about each theme.
During the meeting, Board members made comments, requests and suggestions.
- Define terms like equitable and quality of programs.
- Request for workshop on choice options
- Explain things more so it is clear to all (it currently feels like it is "words without pictures")
- Instead of strategies flowing from the "top down,” we should make them flow from the "bottom up."
- Evaluations should be two-way conversations
- Employees want genuine feedback.
- There is a need to understand choice options and what those mean to students and community.
- Examine the data when designing programs. Ask students to see where their interests lie.
- There was discussion about discipline and equity. The same offense should receive the same discipline.
- When auditing job descriptions, find out what employees are actually doing and listen to what they are saying.
- Mentorship is critical to every employee, not just principals.
- Why do we have to wait for six day count to hire teachers? Why can’t they be hired based on projections?
- Look at out of areas in a different way.
- Follow up with new hires to see how things are going.
- There was a question about aligning employee diversity with student diversity.
- There was a suggestion to change the name of the recommended Capital Advisory Committee as it may get confused with existing committees.
- There was a comment that you can have community transparency without having a committee.
- There was a request to have a workshop on capital and to determine and discuss if we still going to use impact fees to pay toward debt.
- There was a comment that advisory committees should not circumvent staff recommendations.
- There was a recommendation to rename the central office as referenced in the Strategic Plan so that it does not get confused with the central area office.
- There was a suggestion to assign Board members to different departments as liaisons.
- There was a question on whether or not we spending funds the best way.
There is a need for a marketing campaign for the district.
- Clarification of the roles of Dr. Mullins and Ms. Irwins in regards to Communication was requested.
- There was a suggestion to move CSC under Dr. Mullins.
For further details pertaining to this meeting, please refer to the published video on the School Board of Brevard County's website (www.brevardschools.org).