05-11-2010 Regular School Board Meeting
MISSION: TO SERVE EVERY STUDENT WITH EXCELLENCE AS THE STANDARD
The School Board of Brevard County, Florida met in regular session on Tuesday, May 11, 2010, at the Educational Services Facility, 2700 Judge Fran Jamieson Way, Viera, Florida. Notice of the meeting was advertised in The Eagle newspaper on Thursday, May 6, 2010 and the affidavit of publication with a copy of the ad attached is filed in the Affidavit File in the Board Office.
A-1. Call to Order
1. Call to Order
Minutes: Chairman Amy Kneessy called the School Board meeting of May 11, 2010 to order at 5:30 p.m.
A-2. Roll Call
2. Roll Call
Minutes: Members Present: Robert Jordan, Dr. Barbara Murray, Amy Kneessy, Karen Henderson, Andy Ziegler
A-3. Invocation (Dasia Johnson, 6th Grade, Mims Elementary)
The Invocation was led by Dasia Johnson, 6th Grade, Mims Elementary.
A-4. Pledge of Allegiance (Jacob Lockaby, Grade 5, Mims Elementary)
4. Pledge of Allegiance
Minutes: The Pledge of Allegiance was led by Jacob Lockaby, 5th Grade, Mims Elementary.
A-5. Entertainment (Mims Elementary Chorus, String, & Orff Ensemble)
Mims Elementary Chorus & Orff Ensemble, under the direction of Chorus Director, Lisa Weikel, entertained the Board and the audience with one additional musical number.
Chairman Kneessy called for a recess at 5:40 p.m.
The School Board meeting reconvened at 5:45 p.m.
A-6. Emergency Item
A-7. Adoption of Agenda
6. Adoption of the Agenda
Dr. Binggeli read the following changes into the agenda:
F-13. Student Expulsion(s)
H-32. Recommended Reductions for the 2010-11 Operating Budget
|Adoption the agenda for the School Board Meeting of May 11, 2010 and its revisions.||- PASS|
|Motion: Robert Jordan|
|Second: Barbara Murray|
|Karen Henderson||- Aye|
|Robert Jordan||- Aye|
|Amy Kneessy||- Aye|
|Barbara Murray||- Aye|
|Andrew Ziegler||- Aye|
B. Recognition of Visitors/Guests
B. District Communications
7. Recognize Individuals Associated with the Reorganization of BPS-TV
Christine Davis, Director of District Communication, recognized the following individuals for their assistance in a cost saving initiative for the District to cancel the television contract with Brevard Community College and move our BPS-TV station in-house.
Jim Platman, Program/Community Relations Manager for Bright House Networks
Warren Hodge, Bright House Cable-End Technician
Jim Blume, Vice President of CMA, LCC-construction firm
Tom Fitzgerald, Network Engineer - District Coordinator
Dennis Bonny, Project Manager
Bryan Rouse, Technical Repair Technician
Jeff Crawford, Technician Repair Technician
Rick Morton, Technician and Network Support
Cedric Houston, TV Station Manager
B. Budgeting, Cost Accounting & FTE
8. Recognize the Office of Budgeting, Cost Accounting & FTE for Receiving the Meritorious Budget Award from ASBO and the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the GFOA for 2009-10
Judy Preston, Associate Superintendent of Financial Services, announced that the Budgeting Office has recently been awarded the Meritorious Budget Award from the Association of School Business Officials (ASBO) and the Distinquished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFAO).
These honors represents the highest form of recognition for excellence in the preparation and issuance of a governmental entities annual budget.
Karen Strickland, Director of Planning, Budgets and Reporting, and Gail Danvers, Budget Analyst, where instrumental on Brevard achieving these prestigious awards. They accepted two plaques and congratulations on behalf of the Budgeting Office from Chairman Kneessy and Dr. Brian Binggeli.
B. Secondary Programs
9. Science Research Scholarship
Dr. Binggeli stated that this scholarship was the result of a member of our community who was inspired by a story he read in the Florida Today Newspaper about the district's Science Research Program.
Mr. Bernie Simpkins, our generous scholarship sponsor, lost his daughter to cancer and was touched to learn of the dedicated efforts of local students to find a cure for cancer. He set up the Jan Simpkins Jakubcin Cancer Research Scholarship which will give an $8,000 college scholarship and to encourage our local student researchers to continue work in the field of cancer research.
Ginger Davis, Science Resource Teacher, thanked Mr. Simpkins for his generosity and explained the process on how the winner was chosen. Ian Kennard, Satellite High School Senior, was announced as the winner of this generous scholarship.
Ian Kennard will continue his studies at the University of South Florida. His goals include earning a Ph.D. related to work in genetics and oncology.
Mr. Simpkins, Dr. Binggeli and Ginger Davis, Science Resource Teacher presented Ian Kennard will his scholarship check.
D. Financial Services
10. Review of Debt Markets for Florida School Districts
Ms. Preston introduced Mitch Owens, Managing Director of RBC Capital Markets, who gave a presentation on an overview of what is happening in the credit market and how it relates to Brevard Public School District and its financial ratings.
Mr. Jordan gave kudos to the staff for their excellent job.
11. Budget Presentation
Attachment: May 11 board meeting.pdf
Ms. Preston updated the Board on the districts budget, legislation and funding issues. Dr. Binggeli reviewed the Tier I through Tier III recommended reductions, class-size requirements, target & attrition issues and the budget timeline.
Discussion ensued amongst the Board and the Superintendent regarding the 12.8 million that needs to be cut from the District's budget.
Dr. Murray and Mr. Ziegler implored the district to engage parent groups to assist the district in regard to funding sources and sports activities.
Mr. Ziegler requested more analysis on the driver's education as it relates to the number of students for Driver's education.
Ms. Henderson requested that the district look in to the model that Volusia County has for their students for Driver's education.
Dr. Murray requested that the district look into raising the fee for driver's education given the financial outlook of the district. Ms. Kneessy conquered.
Mr. Jordan would like to know how much the district would save if everyone had to furlough one day. Dr. Binggeli stated that the staff would look further into Mr. Jordan's request.
Dr. Murray commented to Dr. Binggeli on the excellent job that he has done with the budget.
Ms. Kneessy asked if Charter Schools were required to meet class by class average. Dr. Binggeli responded in the negative. She also questioned the Superintendent about the ARRA funding that will be dissipating in the next year.
Mr. Jordan questioned the possibilities of closing one or more of the Alternative Learning Centers.
Ms. Preston presented information on the 0.25 Critical Needs Millage, and the 2010-11 Millage.
Mr. Jordan requested a simple study on the government requirements for the 1/4 mill and whether it makes more sense to have a one cent sales tax. He also requested the pros and cons of each of them.
Discussion ensued amongst the Board and Ms. Preston regarding the 1/4 mill and the one cent sales tax.
Chairman Kneessy called for a video break at 7:52 p.m.
The meeting was reconvened at 8:08 p.m.
E. Public Discussion
12. Public Discussion
The Chairman reminded the public that there is a maximum allotted time of three minutes per speaker set aside for discussion. She also stated that the Board would not respond to issues this evening but the Superintendent would investigate the concerns and respond in a timely manner. The following person(s) addressed the Board:
- Simone Burns, Palm Bay - Media Assistant Budget Cuts
- Rob Kirkpatrick, Rockledge - Media Assistant Budget Cuts
- Deborah Simpson, Palm Bay - Rezoning
- Kathryn Millard, Rockledge - Media Assistant Budget Cuts
- John Russo, BFT, Rockledge - Administrators' Evaluations
- Kathy Crisafulli, Merritt Island - Media Assistant Budget Cuts
- Jude Sotherlund, Merritt Island - Edgewood's Club Baseball Program
- Janet Eastman, BFT, Rockledge - RT3(2)
- Terri Baldree, Indialantic - Media Assistant Budget Cuts
- Audrey & Patrick Croft, Palm Bay - Volunteer Security
- Pam Besslu, Merritt Island - Harassment of Osprey by remote controlled planes at Jefferson Middle School
- Mark Witherspoon, Melbourne - Out of Area Students
- Susan Doherty, Titusville - Media Assistant Budget Cuts
F. Board Office/Superintendent
13. Student Expulsion(s)
Attachment: 5.11.10 Expulsions.pdf (Confidential Item)
14. Approval of Minutes
F. Financial Services
15. Financial Statements with Capital and Operating Budget Amendment for the period ending March 31, 2010
Attachment: Financials - March 2010.pdf
Attachment: Budget Amendment #7 - March 31 2010.pdf
Attachment: Budget Amendment Explanations March 31 2010.pdf
Attachment: Capital Budget Amend 5-8.pdf
F. Accounting Services
16. Investment Report for the Quarter ending March 31, 2010
F. Purchasing & Warehouse
17. Purchasing Bids, RFPs, RFQs, ITNs, Sole Source Purchasing Requests and Sales and Services Agreements
Attachment: 10-021JJ Paper - Warehouse Svs..pdf
Attachment: SS 10-002 - BrainChild Corporation.pdf
Attachment: SSA #1010 - TEQGames - CTE.pdf
Attachment: SSA #1011 - Ripple Effects - Ex Ed.pdf
18. Property Disposal
F. Human Resources
19. Instructional Staff Recommendations
Attachment: Instructional Staff 05-11-10.pdf
20. Support Staff Recommendations
Attachment: Support Staff 05-11-10.pdf
F. Title I/Early Childhood Education
21. Independent Evaluation Services for Even Start Program
Attachment: Bigbie Consultant Agreement.pdf
Attachment: Optimal Performance Service Agreement.pdf
F. Exceptional Education
22. Purchase of Braille Devices to Allow Access to Technology for Blind and Visually Impaired Students
Attachment: Freedom Science.pdf
23. Agreement between the School Boards of Brevard County and Seminole County for the Purpose of Medicaid Administrative Claiming Activities
Attachment: MAC Agreement-SCSB2010-11.pdf
24. Contracted Services Agreement with Ready Bodies, Learning Minds Motor-Lab Program
25. Approve Future Problem Solving (FPS) Students to Participate in and Travel to the International Competition at the University of Wisconsin
Attachment: Brevard teams to IC 2010.pdf
26. Permission for Odyssey of the Mind (OM) Teams to Travel to World Finals
F. Area IV Superintendent
27. Riverview Elementary Trip to Washington D.C.
F. Project Management
28. 2010-2011 Student Accommodation Plan
Attachment: 2010-2011 Student Accommodation Plan.pdf
29. School Attendance Boundary Maps and Descriptions
Attachment: Redistricted Schools for 2010-11.pdf
Attachment: Elementary School Attendance Boundary Maps and Descriptions.pdf
Attachment: Middle School Attendance Boundary Maps and Descriptions.pdf
Attachment: High School Attendance Boundary Maps and Descriptions.pdf
F. Plant Operation & Maintenance
30. Amendment # 1 to the Agreement for Chiller Plant Installation at Space Coast Jr/Sr High and Enterprise Elementary Schools
Attachment: Degin Builder Amendment Space Coast and Enterprise.pdf
F. Approval of ConsentItems Pulled for Discussion
31. Approval of Consent Agenda
Minutes: Dr. Binggeli took this opportunity to congratulate Ronald Philpot, Assistant Principal, Titusville High School, for his upcoming retirement and for his dedication to the students of Brevard County.
|Approve the consent agenda. ||- PASS|
|Motion: Barbara Murray|
|Second: Robert Jordan|
|Karen Henderson||- Aye|
|Robert Jordan||- Aye|
|Amy Kneessy||- Aye|
|Barbara Murray||- Aye|
|Andrew Ziegler||- Aye|
H. Financial Services
32. Recommended Reductions for the 2010-11 Operating Budget
Attachment: 2010-11 Proposed Budget Cuts.pdf
Attachment: Memo from Dr Binggeli regarding Recommended Budget Reductions.pdf
Mr. Ziegler pulled this agenda item to commend the media specialists, media assistants and their supporters for professionally educating the Board on the value of those positions. He also mentioned that he was open to dialog on creative ways to be able to keep the media assistant positions.
Dr. Binggeli stated the district continues to get input from our constituents through the district website and we absolutely will be bringing forth the information or creative ideas before the Board.
Ms. Henderson stated the media center in the heart and literacy center of the school. She stated her concern about the media assistant cut is that it effects 72,000 students where there are other things that will not effect as many students.
Mr. Jordan conquered with the other Board Member and stated his concern that next year's budget is going to be worse. He stated that although there many be a reprieve this year, the reality is there is next year.
Ms. Kneessy mentioned that she has not received a commitment on the 1/4 mill from anyone other than Mr. Jordan. She stated that she will stand firm on not considering any other options unless there is a commitment from the Board regarding the 1/4 mill.
33. Intent to Levy an Additional 0.25 Mill for the Operating Fund
Attachment: Items Continued Utilizing the Critical Needs 0.25 Mill.pdf
H. Budgeting, Cost Accounting & FTE
34. Resolution Relating to Flexibility of Categorical Funding
Attachment: 2009-10 Resolution Categorical Funding Flexibility.pdf
H. Risk Management
35. Renew the School Board's Casualty Insurance Policies
Ms. Kneessy took this opportunity to thank Mark Langdorf, Director of Risk Management, for his diligence and the cost savings efforts he made for the district on casualty insurance.
Dr. Binggeli stated there will be a presentation to the Board at the May 25, 2010 School Board meeting regarding the Casualty Insurance Policies.
H. Labor Relations
36. 2010-2011 Staffing Plan Recommendations
H. Alternative Sites
37. Department of Juvenile Justice 2010-2011 School Calendar
Attachment: DJJ Calendar 10-11.pdf
38. School Board of Brevard County and Hurricane Island Outward Bound, Contract for Educational Services
Attachment: Contract-OB 10-11.pdf
39. School Board of Brevard County and Infinity Schools Inc., Contract for Educational Services at AMIkids Brevard Group Treatment Home
Attachment: Contract-GTH 10-11.pdf
40. School Board of Brevard County and Infinity Schools Inc., Contract for Educational Services at AMIkids Frances Walker Halfway House
Attachment: Contract-FWHH 10-11.pdf
41. School Board of Brevard County and AMIkids Space Coast, Inc., Contract for Educational Services
Attachment: Contract-AMIkids (SCMI) 10-11.pdf
42. School Board of Brevard County and Crosswinds/Rainwater Center for Girls, Contract for Educational Services
Attachment: Contract-Rainwater 10-11.pdf
43. School Board of Brevard County and Crosswinds Youth Shelter, Contract for Educational Services
Attachment: Contract-RW shelter 10-11.pdf
44. School Board of Brevard County and Kids Medical Club Agreement
Attachment: Contract-Kids Med 10-11.pdf
45. School Board of Brevard County and Devereux Foundation
Attachment: Contract-Devereux 09-12.pdf
46. Space Coast Early Steps/Local Education Agency (LEA) Interagency Agreement
Attachment: Contract -LEA and ES Interagency Agreement 2010-11.pdf
47. Space Coast Early Steps/Brevard Public Schools Reimbursement Agreement
Attachment: Contract -ES Reimbursement Agreement 2010-11.pdf
48. Interagency Agreement between School Board of Brevard County and Florida Department of Children and Families
Attachment: Contract-DCF, Interagencies.pdf
H. Exceptional Education
49. Contractual Agreement with Cambium Learning to Provide Training in Differentiated Instruction (DI)/ESE Classroom Strategies
Attachment: Cambium for Brevard County 2010-2011_FINAL.pdf
Attachment: Cambium Learning Sopris10.pdf
50. Approval of Three (3) Contracted Services Agreements with Family Liaison Consultants for the 2010-2011 School Year
Attachment: Emily DeWoody.pdf
H. Area I Superintendent
51. Melbourne High School Crew Team Trip to Saratoga Springs, New York
Attachment: MHS Crew Team to New York - May 2010.pdf
H. Area IV Superintendent
52. Field Trip - Satellite High School SECME Mousetrap Car Winners' Competion in South Carolina
Attachment: SHS agenda.pdf
H. Educational Technology
53. Resolution for FCC Compliance and Availability of Funds for E-Rate Funding Year 13 (2010-2011)
Attachment: Resolution of the Board of Trustee.pdf
H. Project Management
54. Policy Revisions for Out of Area Students
Attachment: Policy Revisions for OOA Students.pdf
Attachment: Policy 5120 Change.pdf
Attachment: Policy 7120 Change.pdf
Mr. Ziegler pulled this agenda item to discuss zoning changes for students with Individual Education Plan (IEP).
Ms. Kneessy responded to Mr. Ziegler's concern by explaining the hardship policy on Out-of-Area.
Ms. Henderson requested that Dane Theodore, Director of Planning and Facilities, and Vicki Mace, Director of School Choice, discuss the changes in the Out-of Area Policy.
Mr. Theodore explained the difference in Policies 5120 and 7120 as it pertains to Out-of-Area. He stated that Ms. Mace would be the central approver and reviewer of all the requests.
Ms. Kneessy requested that at the School Board meeting of May 25, 2010, an outline of the changes in the Out-of Area Policies be presented.
Dr. Binggeli informed the Board that the district is sending information out to the public that there may be changes coming as early as this school year due to the rigid changes in class size. reduction.
55. 2010 Educational Plant Survey
Attachment: 2010 Educational Plant Survey.pdf
Minutes: Dr. Murray requested a copy of the plant survey.
I. Staff Reports
56. Staff Report(s)
Minutes: There were no stafff reports.
J. Additional Public Presentations (If Required)
57. Additional Public Presentation(s)
Minutes: There are no additional public presentation(s).
K. Board Member Reports
58. Board Member Reports
Attachment: coalition conforming bill veto request bullet points.pdf
Dr. Murray noted that she attended Southwest Middle School Academic Awards Program. She congratulated Principal Todd Scheuerer and Assistant Principal Christopher Hinkle for the extraordinary program.
Dr. Murray congratulated Tropical Trail Elementary Future Problem Solver Team for being State Champions. She stated that she would be attending their celebration next week.
Dr. Murray congratulated all the Seniors in advance for graduating and requested that the Principal speak to their Seniors regarding their safety over the course of graduation week. She also requested that parents take responsibility and talk to their students about some of the activities that occur during graduation week.
Mr. Ziegler noted that he attended the Area I and Area II Elementary Art and Science Fair awards. He congratulated the students for their participation and the staff for putting on an awesome event.
Mr. Ziegler noted that he attended the Academy of Business and Finance Awards for Viera and Melbourne High Schools. He commended the teachers on how they connect with the students.
Mr. Ziegler noted that he toured the West Melbourne School of Science with Commissioner Andy Anderson. He mentioned that they attempted to explain government to several elementary classes.
Mr. Ziegler reported that the Value Adjustment Board met and discussed the purchase of software which was being held up by Ms. Infintini because she is waiting for a letter from the Board approving the VAB to move forward on the acquisition that we were not interested in going out on bid. The VAB does have the authority to obligate us to this expense. The Board is waiting for information from the VAB before we produce the letter they are requiring.
Mr. Ziegler note that he was trying to field a School Board Dodge ball team for the Boy Scout Tournament on June 19, 2010. Ms. Kneessy questioned if we could take on our Legislative Delegation in a game of dodge ball.
Mr. Jordan noted that he attended the Arts and Science Awards at Space Coast Jr./ Sr. High School and mentioned that he is amazed at the talent that our students have in this county.
Mr. Jordan noted that the Board continually support those people that are employed by us in these dire times.
Mr. Jordan noted about the graduation commencements and about his daughter becoming a senior. He remarked that the district needs to continue to do what is in the best interest of the students during these tough financial times.
Ms. Henderson noted that she went to the Blue Ribbon ceremony at Williams Elementary. She commented on the fantastic job that Karen Schaefer did explaining the importance of the being a Blue Ribbon School.
Ms. Henderson brought forth information to the Board from the Central Florida Public School Board Coalition in regard to the Conforming Bill (see attachment). Ms. Preston answer questions that the Board has in relationship to whether the Governor will veto this bill.
Ms. Kneessy read a letter from a member of the Legislative Delegation and gave her opinion about them not being honest with their budget. Dr. Murray stated that she supports the veto 200%. Mr. Jordan stated the Board should send a letter to the Governor to veto the bill.Ms. Preston stated the Conforming Bill seems to be a catch all which has not been the case in the past. Discussion ensued amongst the Board regarding the Governor vetoing the Conforming Bill.
L. Superintendent's Report
59. Superintendent's Report
Minutes: The School Board meeting of May 11, 2010 adjourned at 9:35 p.m.