|06-11-2013 Regular School Board Meeting|
Agenda Item #51
Revision 1 to 2010 Educational Plant Survey
The Educational Plant Survey (EPS) is defined in Florida Statute 1013.31 as "a systematic study of present educational and ancillary plants and the determination of future needs to provide an appropriate educational program and services for each student based on projected capital outlay FTE's approved by the Florida Department of Education."
The EPS contains all of the proposed facility improvements that have been approved by the Florida Department of Education (FDOE). It is also the basis of the School District's annual Five-Year Facilities Work Program.
The EPS must be updated and submitted to the FDOE for approval every five years at a minimum. The current EPS was approved by the FDOE on January 7, 2011. Intermediate revisions, called "spot surveys" may be submitted at any time in order to obtain FDOE approval for desired changes.
The purpose of this revision to the EPS is to obtain approval from the FDOE for the following changes:
- Revise the Facility List for an Alternative Education Facility
- Create a Facility List for a Pre-K (ESE) Facility
- Close Riverview Elementary School
- Reflect changes at Cuyler, South Pine Grove and Whispering Hills
Section 2: Facility Lists
1. The Facility List for Alternative Education was revised to more closely reflect our Alternative Learning centers.
2. A Facility List was created for Pre-K ESE.
Section 3: Recommendations
1. Riverview Elementary School was closed and is currently serving as a Pre-K center for Pre-K ESE, VPK and Head Start students. It was our desire to convert the facility use to reflect this use. However, after extensive discussions with the FDOE, it was determined that they would not approve this use due to the relatively small number of Pre-K ESE students versus the VPK and Head Start students in the facility. Because the Pre-K ESE students receive FTE funding, the facility must have a school use classification, therefore, Riverview continues to be classified as an elementary school, but is "Conditionally Recommended for Continued Use" (C-2). Because the students (Capital Outlay Full Time Equivalents / COFTE) must be distributed to other schools, Apollo, Coquina, Imperial Estates, Mims, Oak Park, Pinewood and South Lake are included in the spot survey.
2. The North Area Alternative Learning Center program at Cuyler School was transfered to Whispering Hills and Cuyler now serves as the North Area Maintenance facility. It was our desire to change Cuyler to an ancillary facility to reflect this change of use, but the FDOE would not approve this change because the total allowable ancillary space for the District would have been exceeded. Therefore, Cuyler remains a school use, but is "Not Recommended for Continued Use" (C-3).
3. South Pine Grove School currently serves as the South Area Alternative Learning Center. The Facility Use was changed from "Vacant" to "Alternative Education" to correctly reflect this use. COFTE was changed from "-0-" to "2" (the COFTE for the students at this facility remain at their home school, but a nominal COFTE is required for a school use).
4. Whispering Hills Adult/Community Education Center was included in this spot survey to note the relocation of the North Area Alternative Learning Center program from Cuyler and to eliminate the proposed facility improvements due to the anticipated relocations of the ALC and Adult Education programs.
Section 5: Student Membership
COFTE at Riverview was reduced to 17 to accommodate the Pre-K ESE students, with the remainder of the COFTE distributed to Apollo, Coquina, Imperial Estates, Mims, Oak Park, Pinewood and South Lake. Two (nominal) COFTE are shown at South Pine Grove.
Section 6: Financial Summary
Per discussion with the FDOE, proposed facility improvements have been revised for all facilities in this spot survey.
Attachment: Revision 1 to 2010 Educational Plant Survey (Note that only pages with revisions are contained in the attachment).
Approve Revision 1 to the 2010 Educational Plant Survey (Survey Number 3 - Version 2).
Information - 6/11/2013
Consent after Information7/23/2013
Authority for Action
Involves Expenditure of Funds Directly in the Classroom
Source of Funding
Agenda Item will not Require the Expenditure of Funds
Dane Theodore, Assistant Superintendent / Facility Services
Attachment: Revision 1 to 2010 Educational Plant Survey.pdf