1. Opening Exercises
Chairman Robert Jordan called the Strategic Plan Workshop to order at 1:10 p.m.
2. Roll Call
Members Present: Robert Jordan, Dr. Barbara Murray, Amy Kneessy, Karen Henderson, Andy Ziegler
Mr. Jordan stated that several of the senior staff were on vacation due to the change in meeting date. He also mentioned that incoming Superintendent Dr. Binggeli was present and that Dr. DiPatri was still at the helm until 12:01 a.m. July 1, 2009.
Mr. Jordan then turned the meeting over to Dr. DiPatri.
3. Strategic Plan Workshop
Attachment: 2009 SWOT ANALYSIS 6.26.09.pdf
Attachment: 2008-2009 Strategic Plan.pdf
Attachment: 2009-2010 Strategic Plan.pdf
Attachment: 2009 Strategic Plan Calendar.pdf
Attachment: 2008-2009 Summary.pdf
Attachment: Proposed 2009-2010 Strategic Plan.pdf
Attachment: 2008-2009 Status Grid.pdf
Dr. DiPatri noted that this was the eighth year of the Strategic Plan. He explained the Strategic Plan process, the timeline, and changes in the process. A copy of the presentation is attached. Dr. DiPatri then turned the meeting over to Steve Muzzy, Assistant Superintendent of Education Technology.
Mr. Muzzy gave a brief presentation in S.W.O.T. (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) Analysis and Overview.
Dr. DiPatri introduced Neyda Riley, Assistant Director of Testing and Accountability and Sylvia Mijuskovic, School Improvement Resource Teacher, who did a presentation on Making the Connection which is linking district planning to school results as it relates to the Strategic Plan. A copy of the slide presentation is attached.
Vicki Mace, Director of Choice Schools, reviewed the Summary of the progress of the 2008-2009 Strategic Plan Objectives. She reported that out of the 80 strategies, 91 percent of the district's strategies are on schedule or completed.
Ms. Mace reviewed the Suggested New Strategic Plan Objectives/Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for 2009-2010 under each of the four goals areas which was developed by senior staff. A copy of these goals/objectives/KPIs is attached.
Dr. DiPatri made some comments to the Board in regard to the process of developing the 2009-2010 Strategic Plan.
Discussion ensued amongst the Board and staff in regard to the Strategic Plan. The following were suggestions by the Board:
- Mr. Jordan suggested that the acronyms be defined so the public understands them.
- Dr. Murray stated that the district needs to focus on select strategies to get to the foundation of what we are trying to achieve.
- Ms. Kneessy requested that 1.1.21 be reworded or removed because it is about increasing the enrollment and it is not about focusing on the student.
- Ms. Kneessy and Dr. Murray requested the district look into increasing inclusion and have a resource period.
- Mr. Jordan stated his concern about requiring the teachers to have a Master's Degree by 2020 and not giving them any financial assistance.
- Dr. Murray suggested that the district look at how the graduation rate is defined and consider going above and beyond the state formula.
The Chair called for a break at 3:05 p.m.
The meeting reconvened at 3: 25 p.m.
4. 2009/2010 Preliminary Budget and Millage Levy Workshop
Attachment: cost center new2.pdf
Attachment: all funds 09-10_.pdf
Chairman Jordan called the Preliminary Budget and Millage Levy workshop to order at 3:25 p.m.
Judy Preston, Associate Superintendent of Financial Services, gave a presentation on the proposed 2009-2010 Budget and Millage Levy. A copy of the slide presentation is attached.
Discussion ensued amongst the Board, Dr. DiPatri and Ms. Preston as it relates to the district budget and preparation for the future.
A copy of the 2009-2010 Preliminary Budget All Fund and Cost Center Budget Books can be viewed in the School Board Office and the office of Financial Services.