Attachment: 2013-14 Preliminary Budget - All Funds, June 27,2013.pdf
Attachment: 2013-14 Preliminary Budget - Cost Center, June 27, 2013.pdf
Attachment: Handout 1 - Savings on Refunding.pdf
Attachment: Handout 2 - Taxable Value and Revenue Estimates.pdf
Chairman, Dr. Barbara Murray, turned the meeting over to Judy Preston, Associate Superintendent of Financial Services, who gave a presentation to the Board and the viewing audience which covered the following areas:
- Operating Budget Assumptions
- Change in FTE (students)
- K-12 Budget Contains
- Statewide K-12 Budget Contains
- Change is Funding
- 2013-14 District Cost Differential
- 2013-14 FEFP Funding Issues
- Base Student Allocation & District Cost Differential
- Total Operating Budget Funding
- Brevard's Ranking in Funding
- Total Revenue per FTE -Operating Budget
- Change in Funding and Summary
Dr. Binggeli, Superintendent of Schools, explained to the Board and the viewing audience the financial impact of Dual Enrollment due to legislative changes.
Ms. Preston continued the presentation covering the following information:
- Total FTE (Student)
- Student Growth/Decline
- History of Student Membership
- Details of Change in Membership
- Students with Parents Working at KSC or CCAFS - Historical Totals
- Brevard's Tax Roll Growth & Decline
- History of School Board Millage Levy
- Proposed 2013-14 Millage
- Tax on Residential Home Scenarios
- Preliminary Budget
- Operating Budget Revenue
- Capital Projects Revenues
- Capital Funds vs. Debt
- Property Tax Roll Percentage Scenarios
- Capital Revenue Scenarios 1-5 vs. Debt
Ms. Preston turned the meeting over to Jo Ann Clark, Director of Accounting Services. Ms. Clark went over the following information to the Board and the community:
- Savings on Refunding - Comparison of Annual Debt (Prior to vs. After Refunding) - Gross Savings and Net Present Value
- Taxable Value and Revenue Estimate (District vs. State's Estimates)
- Current Capital Funding Plan
Ms. Clark turned the workshop back over to Ms. Preston who concluded the presentation with the Format of Budget Books and Next Steps. Ms. Preston then gave Board Members the opportunity for questions.
Dr. Krupp questioned Ms. Preston as to where we are at with Federal Impact Aid dollars. Mrs. Preston answered that the dollar amount is declining and explained why.
Dr. Krupp asked Cyndi Van Meter, Associate Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction, if we were taking a look at academic grades when selecting students for dual enrollment. Ms. Van Meter explained that she is working collaboratively with Brevard Community College (BCC) to modify the requirements.
Dr. Murray, requested that Ms. Preston reiterate to the audience as it relates to the movement of the 0.25 mill between capital and operating (when, why and results thereof).
Dr. Murray asked Ms. Preston how does Florida's basic student allocation compare with other states throughout the country and how it all aligns with the overall productivity in the state. Dr. Murray requested to see what the states with a lower cost of living/state revenue are pushing towards education as compared to Florida, to determine where the spirit of education falls. Ms. Preston shared the statistics that she knew off-hand and expressed that she would get the Board more information on this matter.
Chairman, Dr. Barbara Murray, adjourned this portion of the Budget workshop at 10:41 a.m.