Agenda Item #9
2014-15 Lunch Price Increase
The Office of Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) takes great pride in offering our students a wide variety of nutritionally balanced meals. Learning to eat right and exercise is as important to lifelong success as reading, writing, and arithmetic. However, promoting healthy eating choices comes with a higher price. As a reminder, Brevard's lunch prices ($1.70 elementary/$1.80 secondary) have remained the same for the last 5 years. The state average price for lunch meals is currently: $2.05 elementary, $2.34 middle and $2.37 high school.
The Healthy Hunger Free-Kids Act of 2010 has mandated many changes to the breakfast and lunch meal patterns. Subsequently, these changes have resulted in additional costs to the program. FNS estimates there will be a 5% increase to the overall food costs for the 2014-15 school year.
It is for these reasons that FNS plans to implement a multi-year, comprehensive plan to further examine meal prices. The 2014-15 school year will be used to re-adjust the type A (reimbursable) meal prices along with the non-reimbursable meal prices. This re-adjustment will bring additional revenue which will be used to cover the cost of the meal and for FNS to continue to research ways to improve nutritional content. Due to the volatility of the economy, meal prices will be reviewed annually and adjustments will be requested when necessary.
Details of all three options are attached which provide an overview of the differences between the anticipated revenues and the impact on the fund balances. Three options for prices for 2014-15 are summarized as follows:
Option A: (no lunch price increase)
· Elementary type A lunch meal: $1.70;
· Secondary type A lunch meal: 1.80;
· Non-reimbursable lunch meal (adult or second student meal): $3.00
· Non-reimbursable breakfast (adult or second student meal): $1.50
· Elementary type A lunch meal: $1.80 (current price $1.70);
· Secondary type A lunch meal: $1.90 (current price $1.80);
· Non-reimbursable lunch meal (adult or second student meal): $3.10 (current price $3.00)
· Non-reimbursable breakfast (adult or second student meal): $1.60 (current price $1.50)
· Elementary type A lunch meal: $1.90 (current price $1.70);
· Secondary type A lunch meal: $2.00 (current price $1.80);
· Non-reimbursable lunch meal (adult or second student meal): $3.20 (current price $3.00)
· Non-reimbursable breakfast (adult or second student meal): $1.70 (current price $1.50)
Information has also been shared which indicates some projections for future price increases during the 2015-16 school year and perhaps beyond.
Approve Option B to increase meal prices for the 2014-15 school year.
Information - 7/22/2014
Consent after Information7/31/2014
Authority for Action
Involves Expenditure of Funds Directly in the Classroom
Source of Funding
Agenda Item will not Require the Expenditure of Funds
Kevin Thornton, Director, Food and Nutrition Services, Extension 690.
Judy R. Preston, Associate Superintendent, Financial Services, Extension 600.
Attachment: Option A No Increase.pdf
Attachment: Option B $1.80; $1.90.pdf
Attachment: Option C $1.90; $2.00.pdf