2. Roll Call
Board Members Present: Misty Belford, John Craig, Tina Descovich, Matt Susin and Andy Ziegler
Cabinet Members Present: Stephanie Archer, Desmond Blackburn, Russell Cheatham, Jane Cline, Amy Envall, Carol Kindt, Mark Mullins, Matt Reed, Stephanie Soliven, Beth Thedy, Dane Theodore and Pennie Zuercher
Attachment: 2017-1215 Retreat Agenda.pdf
Board Evaluation Tool
- Chairman Craig went over the tool and asked about an implementation timeline.
- Should be completed by October before new board organization.
- The process will begin in February (last day of February is acceptable) and completed in October.
- Vice Chairman Descovich went over the general counsel evaluation tool.
- Both cabinet and board members will complete
- An NA column will be added as some of the services the general counsel provides does not apply to all.
- General Counsel will provide a self-evaluation.
- Process will mirror that of the superintendent's evaluation.
- Board members will try to meet quarterly with General Counsel Envall.
- Cabinet members should provide general counsel evaluation by April 30.
Board Cost Savings Ideas
A summary of items as either "in-process" and/or identified as "current year priority" for implementation and/or further consideration were discussed as follows:
- Outsourcing substitutes - Carol Kindt
- Mr. Ziegler suggested that we identify what is missing to make the fill rate better.
- Biggest downfall is not having "buy-in"
- Bring it for a presentation in January
- Dual Enrollment Textbooks- Stephanie Soliven
- Outsourcing Operational Functions - Mark Mullins
- Workers Compensation - Pennie Zuercher
- Professional Organizations/Subscriptions - Pennie Zuercher
- Prescription Drug Options - Pennie Zuercher
- Potential Deductible Incentives (Spouse Biometric Screening) - Pennie Zuercher
- Long Distance Telephone Service - Russell Cheatham
- Benefits Enrollment Software - Russell Cheatham
- Land Sales - Dane Theodore
- Printing Services - Matt Reed
Ms. Belford asked about communicating ideas and successes with the community.
- Dr. Blackburn asked cabinet to send quarterly highlights to Mr. Reed, assistant superintendent of Government and Community Relations.
- Mr. Reed said he and his department are working on stump speech talking points.
- Mr. Craig asked something could be placed on the district's website where the community can request a speaker?
Mr. Ziegler stated that he wanted Mark Langdorf to continue exploring health claim rates.
Fencing as Part of Security Initiatives
- Vice Chairman Descovich discussed fencing projects and concerns she had heard from some principals.
- It was decided to survey all principals to see if they had issues.
- Stephanie Soliven, assistant superintendent of Secondary Leading and Learning and Jane Cline, assistant superintendent of Elementary Leading and Learning, both said they had not heard one complaint regarding the fences being placed around schools as part of security initiatives.
eAgenda Email Notifications
- Email notifications from eAgenda to the board would be enabled.
Email Marketing Service
- There was discussion about items board members would like to see dollars spent on from the Federally Connected Funds.
- Board members agreed to divide up dollars between the five board member districts to utilize as discretionary funds ($140,000 each district).
- It was determined that cabinet members could leave at this point.
- Various ancillary topics were discussed.
5. Closing Remarks
Chairman Craig thanked everyone and expressed satisfaction in what had been accomplished during the workshop.